Saturday 3 October 2015

C'mon Everybody..


Anna Bolan 'Emma with Book' (top)
No, he's not the Messiah, he's a very hard-working bloke. Anthony Roberts welcomes visitors to the opening party for the Firstsite Open last night.









Benjamin Warner 'Biblically Dark Water'








The whole point of this blog is to accentuate the great, positive energy there is in Colchester, but if I'm honest I wasn't looking forward to this exhibition - so many dreary paintings! But how wrong I was - here's two local young artists, Anna inspired by her art teacher to enter, and Benjamin studying for a BA in Fine Art at Leeds university. I must admit I generally preferred anything that wasn't a flat rectangle constrained by a frame, but that's the whole point, as the programme says the exhibition challenges you to reflect on why you like or don't like a particular work. Why not get involved via #OpenExhibition ?
Very sorry I seem to have lost my note of who's excellent work this is - I shall correct that in a future blog!
And here's my favourite glimpsed last night - a short video of a skateborder outside Firstsite - an obvious metaphor for how Firstsite is rapidly becoming a welcoming place for all the people of Colchester. Get down there and take part!
Music today - a clue in the blog title - C'mon Everybody - Eddie Cochran

No comments:

Post a Comment